Commemorative plate, Old Cheese Factory

Maker
Gerard Albers
Production date
1984-1985
See full details

Object Detail


Production date
1984-1985
Description
Oval shaped hand-painted delftware ceremonial plate with tin-glaze. Painted by Gerard Albers in brown, it depicts the Old Cheese Factory, Berwick, and surrounding trees, looking out from the veranda of the homestead.

The factory and homestead buildings date back to c1875 when the property was owned by Sir William John Turner Clark, and for a period were the centre of a prosperous farm and factory, employing up to 100 farm hands and with 200 milking cattle. The property was subdivided and sold in 1904. In 1925 the property including the buildings was purchased by the State Government and was subdivided into smaller allotments for the settlement of soldiers who fought in the First World War. Following its use for soldier settlement the property reverted to the State Government which reserved the land for public purposes and appointed the City of Casey as its manager. In 1985 the City of Casey officially opened the Old Cheese Factory to the public as an art and craft gallery and as a historic property. Today, the Old Cheese Factory continues to be an important meeting place for the community and host of community events, and also offers spaces for hire for private functions.
Artist/Maker and role
Gerard Albers: Artist
Media/Materials description
hand painted Delftware
Measurements
34.5 x 20.5 x 3.0 cm
Signature & date
Signed in paint on recto, bottom right, "G.Albers". Inscribed in paint on verso "HB/ 84715/ HANDPAINTED/ Delftwa(sic)/ Presented to the/ Berwick City Council/ 1984-1985".
Photography credit (first image)
Photograph: Viki Petherbridge
System ID
1222

Colours


Object type


Subject category


Part of 2 highlight sets

Share

Comments


Be the first to comment.