Presentation trowel, City of Berwick Civic Centre

Maker
T. County
Production date
1978
See full details

Object Detail


Production date
1978
Description
Ceremonial trowel made of electroplated nickelsilver (EPNS) with a turned blackwood handle, right angle mount and electroplated tine. The trowel is decorated around the edge with a scrollwork pattern and is inscribed. Manufactured by T. County of T.J & H.M County Trophies on Elizabeth Street, Melbourne as indicated by maker's mark on verso. The EPNS is showing signs of tarnish.

Inscribed "CITY OF BERWICK/ CIVIC CENTRE NARRE WARREN/ LAYING OF FOUNDATION STONE/ by/ HIS WORSHIP COUNCILLOR H B HODSON JP, MAYOR/ on 17th FEBRUARY 1978".

In 1978 a new City of Berwick municipal office, the Civic Centre, was built in Narre Warren on land donated by the Overland Corporation, the developer of the Fountain Gate Shopping Centre. The building was designed and constructed by Jennings Industries. The foundation stone was laid on February 17, 1978 by Councillor Hugh Hodson, and the Civic Centre was officially opened on December 8, 1978 by the Governor of Victoria, Sir Henry Winneke.

The Civic Centre continued to be used as council offices by the City of Berwick, and then City of Casey, until it was demolished in 2018 following the building of and move to the new City of Casey council offices and arts precinct, Bunjil Place.
Artist/Maker and role
T. County: Maker
Associated person
Media/Materials description
EPNS, blackwood, solder
Measurements
35 x 10 x 4.5 cm
Signature & date
Makers mark on verso, "T. County / Melb"
Photography credit (first image)
Photograph: Viki Petherbridge
System ID
1224

Colours


Subject Auto Tags


Object type


Part of 2 highlight sets

Share

Comments


Be the first to comment.