Wilson Botanic Park, Berwick

Maker
Margaret Cromb
Production date
1991
See full details

Object Detail


Production date
1991
Description
Watercolour by Margaret Cromb depicting the lake and hills of the former quarry that is now Wilson's Botanic Park. The work was painted in 1991, the year prior to the opening of the Park.

The site that was originally a quarry, owned by the Wilson bothers, William (1830-1907) and James (1833-1910), who purchased around 630 acres from the Crown in 1854. The quarry commenced operations in 1859 and saw an expansion after 1874 as it provided ballast for the newly built Gippsland railway line, and later stone for road making. Upon its closure in 1978, owner, George Wilson (1918-2003) and his wife Fay donated the 50-acre quarry site to the residents of Berwick for use a public park.

Work on the park commenced in 1988, and the City of Berwick aimed to beautify the landscape, provide a place for relaxation and recreation and to create a botanic park with a collection of plants for botanic study. The Park was officially opened to the public on July 26th, 1992.
Artist/Maker and role
Margaret Cromb: Artist
Media/Materials description
watercolour on paper
Measurements
20.9 x 48.0 cm (sight), 53.1 x 78.0 x 3.4 cm (frame)
Signature & date
Signed and dated in ink in lower left "Margaret Cromb '91."

Printed adhesive label on reverse of frame in lower left corner, "CHIEF EXECUTIVE'S OFFICE"
Photography credit (first image)
Photograph: Viki Petherbridge
System ID
1368

Colours


Subject category


Part of 2 highlight sets

Share

Comments


Be the first to comment.