The Old Berwick Inn

Maker
Maie Casey
Production date
1968
See full details

Object Detail


Production date
1968
Description
The image depicts the Berwick Inn as viewed from the intersection of High Street and Lyall Road, on the corner of which the Inn has stood since 1987. The roads are unsealed and a horse-drawn cart with two figures is parked on the side of High Street, next to the Inn.

The Berwick Inn, also called the Border Hotel, was built for Robert Bain in 1857 as a single storey building. The two storey additions were made in 1877 and 1887. The Berwick Inn was an important meeting place in Berwick and stopping point for travellers on route to the gold fields in Gippsland.

Lady Ethel Marian (Maie) Casey, wife of Lord Casey, was a writer, artist and flyer, and also greatly supported her husband in his public life. They owned a property, Edrington, in Berwick. A photograph of Maie Casey at Edrington painting the Berwick Inn can be found on the Casey Cardinia Links to Our Past website - http://caseycardinialinkstoourpast.blogspot.com/search/label/Edrington%20%28property%29
Artist/Maker and role
Maie Casey: Artist
Media/Materials description
oil on canvas
Measurements
34.7 x 39.5 cm (sight), 36.0 x 40.4 cm (stretcher), 46.1 x 50.8 x 3.0 cm (frame)
Signature & date
Signed and dated in oil paint in the lower left corner "M.C. 48".
Engraved on brass plate on the lower member of frame, centre "THE BERWICK INN by Maie Casey 1948/ Presented to/ THE CITY OF BERWICK COUNCIL/ by the family of the late Lady Casey/ 1984".
Inscribed in blue biro on reverse of stretcher in upper left corner "Property of/ Mrs. R. G. Casey".
Inscribed in graphite on reverse of stretcher in upper centre, "14" x 16"".
Inscribed in red pencil on reverse of stretcher in upper right corner "1** GIPPS ST/ E. MELB."
Photography credit (first image)
Photograph: Viki Petherbridge
System ID
1396

Colours


Object type


Subject category


Part of 1 highlight set

Share

Comments


Be the first to comment.