Sunrise over Homestead (Old Cheese Factory, Berwick)

Jill Henderson
Production date
See full details

Object Detail

Production date
Watercolour showing the old cheese factory and homestead from the South side.

The factory and homestead buildings date back to c1875 when the property was owned by Sir William John Turner Clark, and for a period were the centre of a prosperous farm and factory, employing up to 100 farm hands and with 200 milking cattle. The property was subdivided and sold in 1904. In 1925 the property including the buildings was purchased by the State Government and was subdivided into smaller allotments for the settlement of soldiers who fought in the First World War. Following its use for soldier settlement the property reverted to the State Government which reserved the land for public purposes and appointed the City of Casey as its manager. In 1985 the City of Casey officially opened the Old Cheese Factory to the public as an art and craft gallery and as a historic property. Today, the Old Cheese Factory continues to be an important meeting place for the community and host of community events, and also offers spaces for hire for private functions.
Artist/Maker and role
Jill Henderson: Artist
Media/Materials description
watercolour on paper
32.5 x 47.8 cm (sight), 52.1 x 66.0 x 2.4 cm (frame)
Signature & date
Signed and dated in watercolour in the lower right corner, "Jill HENDERSON 1985". Artist's business card stickytaped to the reverse of the frame "Jill Henderson/ Artist/ The Australian Guild of Realist Artist's Limited/ * ****** STREET,/ BERWICK. 3806/ TELEPHONE: 707 ****"
Photography credit (first image)
Photograph: Viki Petherbridge
System ID


Subject category

Part of 1 highlight set